Get a Work Permit

A Note from The District

All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement.

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.

The San Diego Unified School District is approving requests for work permits for essential services, due to COVID 19. 

Approved essential services, students can be issued a work permit to work at are as follows: grocery stores, food services, pharmacies, banks, laundromats, gas stations, nursing homes, automobile services, real estate offices, and healthcare providers. 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.